Who knew that taking care of your teeth could be so crazy! Here are some fun facts about teeth that will get your children excited to visit us here at Tempe Smiles!
Did you Know?
- The human body produces an average of 25,000 quarts of saliva during a lifetime. That means ten people can fill an entire Olympic swimming pool with their saliva!
- You should lock up your toothbrush. Just kidding, but studies have found that if you keep your toothbrush near a toilet airborne particles can get caught between the bristles…gross!
- You should replace your toothbrush at least once every three months. Additionally, if you have experienced the flu or the cold you should switch your toothbrush immediately. Bacteria can get caught between the bristles, which doesn’t do you any favors.
- In 1994, a prisoner in West Virginia braided dental floss to create a rope which he used to escape from prison.
- If you drink more than three glasses of soda a day than you are at 62% higher risk of developing serious tooth decay. Try drinking more water than soda.
- Tooth enamel is actually the hardest substance in the human body. That being said, you should still avoid chewing on hard candies or opening bottles with your teeth. That should be obvious!
- You may need to see your dentist more than twice a year! That’s right, although you should see your dentist at least twice a year, different people have different needs when it comes to their oral health.
- Three out of four people suffer from some form of gum disease. If gingivitis goes untreated it could lead to more serious periodontal disease which requires more visits to the dentist and additional procedures.
So there you have it! 8 fun facts about teeth that can keep your children educated and excited for the dentist!